Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fare Thee Well, reddit!

Steve and I both have something to tell you; we wanted you to hear it from us, in the same blog entry, with our cute avatars. Our contracts are coming to an end this Halloween and we're leaving reddit. Chris' contract is also ending, but he's staying on (along with the rest of team reddit). The most important thing we both want you to know is that the reddit you know won't be any different on November 1st (as long as Chris [keysersosa] doesn't remove our admin privileges).

The second most important thing we wanted you to know is that we're having a Halloween party in SF and you're invited!

Steve "spez" Huffman: When Alexis and I started reddit, we had no idea what we were in for. Reddit took on a life of its own early and continues to surprise me on a daily basis. I am genuinely proud to have been a part of it, and humbled by what it has become.

Reddit has been such a large part of my life for the past four years. I truly loved working on it, and it will be difficult letting go. That said, I know it's in good hands. Chris and the remaining team know what they're doing, and I'm sure they'll do a fine job keeping reddit on track for years to come.

Thank you to the users for making reddit what it is. Thank you to team-reddit for putting up with me. I know I can be difficult, but it was an honor working with you all. We did some pretty cool things, and I look forward to working with you all again in the future.

With that, I flee back to Virginia to spend time with my lovely new wife. Cheers!

Alexis "kn0thing" Ohanian: Thinking back on the Medford, MA, apartment where Steve and I started reddit, it's shocking to see how far the site has come. And that's been thanks to all of you redditors, who've not only made reddit worth visiting, but also strong-armed your friends into joining.

I'm leaving reddit to take some time to return to one of my neglected hobbies, traveling, and in the meantime, focus a bit on my present night job (breadpig). I'm also getting the chance to spend three months in Armenia as a Kiva Fellow. If you're curious, I'll be posting regularly on the Internets, the twitter, and of course, on reddit. I have total confidence in team reddit continuing the direction of the site and pursuing the vision for the ultimate time-wasting website.

Don't think of this as a "goodbye," think of it as "see you on reddit." After more than four years of thinking about reddit every day -- it's been more therapeutic than you know, actually -- there's bound to be some postpartum depression (and the only prescription, is more reddit). This is a special community that's become a bigger part of my life than I ever could have imagined; I'm grateful for the opportunity to have worked with you all (except for the spammers). Thank you.
discuss this post on reddit