Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Make Mister Splashy Pants proud: name an orphaned dog and cat to help them find a home!

A little while back, we wrote about Jessmuhkah, a redditor who asked reddit to name her cat.

This gave us an idea. In the proud tradition of Mister Splashy Pants, we thought TheCuteList could use a contest to name a needy dog and cat at our local San Francisco SPCA. I've had a bit of experience working with this fine organization and can write with confidence that they're a very worthy beneficiary of the reddit collective's imagination and voting prowess.

So here's the deal, they'll rename the following cat and dog whatever gets the most points in this thread for cat names and this thread for dog names. Don't worry, they know the "pics or it didn't happen" rule; we're expecting not only images of the '2.0' animals, but hopefully also a great adoption story as a result of this contest.

The only rule is it can't contain any profanity (this name will appear on the door for potential adopters to marvel at -- keep it family friendly). Submit your ideas and cast your votes before the deadline of Wednesday, Dec. 10th at noon Pacific. Winners will receive a priceless warm & fuzzy feeling and maybe something slightly more tangible.

Tory, in her own words:
she's been adopted!
Oh Hai! I have traveled a long way to be here. I started my life in Ventura County, and for some reason I ended up at the local shelter. Luckily, I was rescued and endured a long car ride along with 5 other cats. Since I arrived at The San Francisco SPCA several months ago, all of my traveling companions have found homes. Don’t get me wrong, this room with a view is a big upgrade from a cage. It's nice and all, but it’s not a real home :(

I am a very sweet lady, and I promise that I will give you lots of love if you let me join your family. I'm not a picky cat, but I do have one request: to be your one and only feline...other cats aren't exactly my cup of tea. Please take me home...it's what I dream of every night!


Chip, in his own words
he's been adopted!
8 years of living with the same family, and all of a sudden - here I am - interviewing new people as my best friend. I'm hoping the next one to step up is my dream pack. Someone told me I look like some famous guy - Clark Gable? I hope that helps my cause. I'm not too selective in what I'm looking for - Lots of outdoor activities - bringing me to things my houndy nose can sniff - the great outdoors is what I love!

If I may say so myself, I'm the perfect companion. Not too large, not too small, not too talkative, but not too shy. I love all things sniffable, and long walks through the neighborhood would give us a chance to meet new people, see new things, and of course - sniff new sniffs. I'll sit when you ask me to, heck - I might even hand over a paw to shake or a belly to scritchy-scratch. Kisses? I got em for ya. Snuggles when it's cold outside? No problem, buddy. So come on - let's find new, exciting adventures together!



Sugar, as described by her friends @ the SF SPCA
she's been adopted!
We've come to realize she's dealt a less than ideal hand in this card game.

See, she's a little older, a little chubbier, and little less spotty than the Cattle Dog mix down the hall. Her fur isn't as soft and luxurious as the Cockapoo next door, and she definitely doesn't seem like she wants to go for a daily swim like that big Yellow Lab across the way. Unlike the litter of puppies in the next hallway over, who've got that "new to the world" look about them that so many folks seem to fawn over, Sugar has character in her eyes, and a swagger in her walk that says "hey world – we're old friends. And p.s. – I'm already housebroken."

Sugar's got a pretty solid vocabulary – she'll sit, lay down, roll over and shake. But no, she doesn't know fetch, heel, or know how to get you the paper. And she's way too much of a lady to play tug-of-war. (She'd just let you win anyway – it's in her nature to make you happy). I guess the point is, Sugar isn't traffic stopping gorgeous, or so smart it knocks your socks off when she walks on her rear legs and recites the Greek alphabet. She loves leisurely walks, but she's just as happy to run circles in the back yard for a while, and flop down in the grass for a snooze. She's vivacious and outgoing, friendly and charismatic. She enters a room and you just know, you just feel - there's love there.

Based on the positive feedback we've already gotten, we're aiming to do this every month at cities across the U.S. -- New York is first up in the New Year. If you've got an SPCA in your hometown that you'd like to see featured on TheCuteList, message Erik.

--
The mission of TheCuteList is to be a 24-7 competition for the cutest things on the Internet, all of which are submitted and ranked by the site's users.

The mission of The San Francisco SPCA is to save and protect animals, to provide care and treatment, to advocate for their welfare, and to enhance the human-animal bond.

Founded in 1868, The SF/SPCA is a national leader in saving lives and raising the status of companion animals. Its innovative programs and services include: Maddie's Pet Adoption Center; Community Veterinary Services, including the SF/SPCA Animal Hospital and Spay/Neuter Clinic; Humane Education; public Dog Training classes; Feral Cat Assistance Program; and Animal Assisted Therapy.
discuss this post on reddit