Friday, August 30, 2013

Over 10,000 Teachers Need Your Help

Please consider participating in our annual reddit gifts for the Teachers drive and help teachers get the supplies they need for their classroom! You will feel great and make a concrete difference for the teachers and the children. Sign up here

None of us here at reddit would be where we are today without the amazing teachers who have helped us along the way. Many of us at reddit also have friends and family who are teachers and we witness how they always end up purchasing basic supplies out of their own pockets.

To help support teachers we started reddit gifts for the teachers, where teachers sign up who are in need of supplies for their classrooms, and nice people sign up to send them some supplies! There is no minimum or suggested value of these gifts, they can be as simple as some pencils or glue sticks. Our most requested items are photocopier paper, whiteboard markers, colouring pencils/crayons/markers, construction paper, & safety scissors (remember those?).

Last year, over 2,500 participants from around the world sent almost $150,000 worth of supplies for teachers as the new school year started. This year over 10,000 teachers around the world have signed up, but right now we don't have nearly enough redditors to match them. Please consider participating so that we can match all the teachers. You can even sign up to give to more than one teacher. You have no idea what even $20 in school supplies can mean to a classroom in need! Sign up for redditgifts for the Teachers 2013


Here are just a few examples of personal requests from the teachers participating in the exchange:  
Thank you so much for choosing to send my students a care package! I teach high school Biology in a very low income, inner-city school. My classroom is a place where kids can forget about the violence, poverty, crime, and gang activity that is a part of their everyday lives. I know that they live with these realities and try to make class time something they will remember. I don't like textbooks and do tons of hands-on activities. Unfortunately, with a $0 budget for supplies, I spent over $1200 last year so my kids could have good experiences, like dissecting chicken wings in Anatomy class because we could not afford to order specimens. I can use ANY school supplies (glue sticks, colored pencils, construction paper, pencils, pens, spiral notebooks) or anything else to make my students have a special experience in high school...GO MUSTANGS!  
----------------------------------------------------- 
I teach 7th grade mathematics at a Middle School, which is located on a Reservation. Many of my student do not have a home to return to after school, so they often only eat the breakfast and lunch the school provides. I try to provide snacks throughout the year for the students to take with them for the night, but I always end up running out within a few months. The wishlist is just a few suggestions for snacks. ANY snack would be greatly appreciated though.
-----------------------------------------------------  
I teach English in High School.  For many kids, it's their least favorite subject.  I try to change that by making reading fun again.  Students make my classroom awesome-they do amazing art projects, they're funny, they're experts at crafting sarcastic remarks that I recount to my friends later,  and they try hard. Any kind of classroom supply would be great or maybe your favorite book--as long as it's not Fifty Shades of Grey or something by Dan Brown.
-----------------------------------------------------  
I teach at a project-based learning school where students do a lot of digital learning and art projects.  Unfortunately, providing those art supplies is a burden that falls on the teacher.  I would love to receive poster paint, Crayola crayons/markers/colored pencils, scissors, cardstock, poster paper, etc.  I do not need glue or rulers (I'm still enjoying the spoils of last year's gift exchange in that department!). Cleaning supplies would also be a huge help.  Windex, clorox wipes, paper towels, kleenex, etc. Finally, if any of the above don't strike your fancy, I'm on a quest to collect posters for each of the books that I teach my students.  I've added a bunch to my amazon wish list.  Currently my classroom is completely barren.  I'm a pretty new teacher and I just don't have the budget for extra decorations for my classroom.  I would love some art to give students something interesting to look at and to get them excited about reading!
Thanks a bunch, reddit!  Oh, and by the way...our mascot is a panda.  We're the best at being adorable :)
-----------------------------------------------------  
I have a large class of excited third graders beginning school in a week. I thrive to allow my students to be as creative as possible. Unfortunately, due to district budget, my classroom is lacking in basic supplies. At this moment I have 10, 8 count, boxes of crayons. I would love for my classroom to have enough colored pencils and markers for students to share and enjoy. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------  
I teach 9-12th grade special education.  I am currently teaching five courses and my yearly budget is $70.  Needless to say I spend this within hours!
My students are really cool young men and women, but they really don't bring supplies.
Examples of things I ask them to bring: binder (any color, used, size doesn't matter), pencils, pens, folder, paper.
Know what would be the BEST?  A huge stack of graph paper!
-----------------------------------------------------  
  • Thank you to everyone who is participating and everyone who has been spreading the word about this project. Most of all thank you to all the teachers out there. You do amazing, underappreciated work everyday. Thank you! 

discuss this post on reddit