Tuesday, June 14, 2011

reddit Levels Up with Three New Programmers

We're almost halfway through 2011, and it's already been a big year for reddit. We've grown from 13.7 million unique visitors in January 2011 to 18.8 million this May (37% growth). We've grown from 999 million page views in January 2011, to 1.228 billion in May (25% growth). During this period our average time on site has remained steady at an impressive 15 and a half minutes. The reddit community has also been making news and creating awesome new reddits at an increased clip. Not too shabby considering reddit's only had one magical programmer for part of 2011.

The rest of 2011 is looking extremely bright, and we're ecstatic to announce three new programming hires who will help reddit continue to grow and improve. Please help us in welcoming these new admins! We'll let them introduce themselves:

Logan Hanks (intortus)
I grew up in Virginia (and graduated from Virginia Tech). I've been in California at Google for the past six years. I'm really into open source (the last few years at Google were working on http://code.google.com/hosting). Maybe some of you would recognize "xmms-shell."

Keith Mitchell (kemitche)
I'm absolutely thrilled to be joining reddit! It's been almost 3 years since I first discovered reddit (Thanks xkcd!). At that time, I was a humble student at Colorado School of Mines. Since then, I've ridden a bike from SF to LA (three times), graduated, learned Python, built an installer for Solaris, ditched a WoW habit, participated in a gigantic Secret Santa exchange, and more. As an avid user (of reddit ಠ_ಠ), I want to see the site do well as much as the rest of you and will be doing all in my power to make it a better place.

Brian Simpson (bsimpson)
Hi everyone, I’m really psyched to be joining reddit. I just moved out to San Francisco from the Boston area, where I’d been in grad school and then working for the past 6 years. I’m a chemical engineer by training but switched over to programming through work in scientific computing and mathematical modeling. Working at reddit will be an exciting change for me, and I’m looking forward to helping improve the site.

Thank you to everyone in the reddit community who made these new hires possible — be it in the form of submissions, community moderation, brand sponsorship, t-shirt-ownership, adblock-not-doing, sponsored-link-buying, or reddit-gold-subscribing. It's a very exciting time here at reddit HQ, and we are extremely grateful for your support.
discuss this post on reddit