Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Hotel California of the Internet

One ambitious redditor, eouw0o83hf, rewrote Hotel California in response to the observation that reddit is "the 'Hotel California' of the Internet."

Before you start reading, you'll want to hit play. Go on. Rock out.



Verse
In a dark basement corner, nasty grease in my hair
Warm smell of some Ramen rising up through the air
Up ahead on my display there shown a glimmering site
My eyes grew heavy as I sipped my Dew - it wasn't even midnight

Firefox rendered before me a site I knew so well
The friendly alien beckoned me - What would I find there? No one can tell...
Then the page finished loading; I logged in right away
My envelope glowed that nice orange hue, I had new replies today!

Chorus
Welcome to your homepage known as Reddit!
Such a wondrous place, puts a smile on your face
Many new posts on your favorite subReddit!
Any time of day, there's something new to say

Verse
/WTF is so twisted; my mind, it starts to bend...eeww
/craigslist shows me lots of posts from people wanting to be my friends
I move on to /science, /pics and /entertainment
I post some comments to /bestof; I find some links and submit

I start browsing comments, I go to look at mine
I see that I need to post more links because my karma is only at 9
And still qgyh2 is posting all night and day
I keep browsing all through the night, up until the day

Chorus
Welcome to your homepage known as Reddit!
Such a wondrous place, puts a smile on your face
Many new posts on your favorite subReddit!
To the user who tries: many upvotes fly

Verse
My cat looks from the ceiling; Rick Astley sounds so nice
Xzibit puts a meme in my meme as comedic device
In the realm of comments I learn all of my memes
We downvote them with our blue arrows, but trolls just never leave

Why can't I just quit this? Why do I always need more?
How, sans Reddit, did I live my life back in 1994?
Oh well, it's no matter - this I was born to read
I can log out anytime I like. But I can never leave.

(insert sweet guitar solo from /music)
discuss this post on reddit